What the contest is about
Show us how you change the future of mobility with open data!
Better services for customers using digital solutions, improved processes for business operations and new digital business models – digitization contains a lot of chances. To utilize those chances together, open data offers the possibility to test new ideas on an easy and fast basis.
Show us how you change the future of mobility by using open data! Submit you apps, applications, visualizations and prototypes for new services you have created by using open data – we will present them to the public and the most astonishing projects will receive awesome prizes after being awarded by our jury!
Data.deutschebahn.com is our first step towards open data – to contribute and advance the principle Open, special prizes will be awarded for applications that are open source, provide open data, visualize data using OpenStreetMap or make open data applications easier.
Competition period is three months, starting 28. April till 28. July 2017, 11:59 pm. Our jury will pick the winners till end of August.
Get inspired! Early submissions can be found at:
Your project is missing? Your chance to submit it now! Your project is on the overview but you haven't signed up for the contest? Take your chance!
Submit your project
Please use the form below for submitting your project:
If you prefer submitting your project via mail, please copy the questions, complete them and send them to email@example.com – of course you can add further information or slides
Win with open data from April 28th to July 28th 2017
Win travel prizes for your functional applications/prototypes/services/visualizations with open mobility data – combined with further data from the DB Open-Data-Portal or other sources.
We will also honor the most beautiful, the best and the most interesting submissions. More Prizes and categories will be announced during the competition period. Stay tuned!
Prizes & categories are for example:
- Rail travels
- Special prizes from our contest partners
- Meet-ups with colleagues from project relevant departments
- Presentation of your project on certain events
- Best digital service for train travelers
- Best support for accessible travel
- Best Open-Source/Open-Data project
- Biggest Wow-effect among the jury
- Most beautiful UX-design
- Most effective work simplification for employees
Examples from our prize pool
Events 2 meet us during the contest
We organize Hackathons and attend different events to support developers and startups regarding the usage of DB Open Data. During the contest period, you can meet us at:
- Datensummit (28./29. April)
- re:publica (8.-10. May)
- 7. DB Hackathon (12./13. May) - together with JR East from Japan/Tokyo at DB mindbox
- Maker Faire Berlin (10./11. June)
- Hack Your City Berlin (17./18. June)
- Heureka (20. June)
- Wege zur Mobilitätswende (22./23. June)
- Chatbot Summit (26. June)
- ouisharefest Paris (5.-7. July)
- hackatrain.nl (10.-11. July - as a Jury member)
- Tech Open Air (12./13. July)
- Mobility Innovation Competition @ Campus (MICC) (25. Juli - as a Jury member)
Overview of usable, open mobility data (extract):
For a comprehensive introduction: The mCloud of the BMVI is a research platform for open data on mobility and related topics.
Here is a short overview for an easier start (links are hidden within the bullet points)
Conditions of Participation, Prizes, Jury
- Use open mobility data (mandatory)
- Optional: combination with other (open?) data(-sources) (e.g. weather...)
- Optional: Usage of OpenStreetMap or OpenRailwayMap
- Both, new applications and also add-ons for existing applications will be approved
- Product, that has to be submitted as MVP/functional prototype minimum:
- Web application or
- App (Also preview videos of real app functionality can be submitted (no demos!), functional capability of the app will be tested before award ceremony!) or
- Scripts/plugins/frameworks or
- Visualizations/data science
- Code & design: We prefer code and design under free licenses but it’s not mandatory for contest participation (except for the OPEN-prize!).
- Self-published data: Under CC0 or CCBY4.0.
- Documentation: Public and usable without restrictions for us.
- Information: Ideas are not exclusive. We want to stimulate the development and advancement of ideas in the sense of open innovation, the contest is no place for secret ideas.
- Conditions: Award winners grant Deutsche Bahn the non-exclusive right for the usage of the ideas.
Deadline: Friday, 28. July 2017 - 11:59 pm – Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
@dbopendata - @dbhackathon
A jury comprising representatives from different DB AG departments, Open Knowledge Foundation Germany and our Hackathon and contest partners, who travel a lot by train/public transport and use all kinds of logistic services.