Deutsche Bahn AG is joining a Data Pitch Program. Startups accepted by Data Pitch will benefit from funding (€ 100.000) and mentoring opportunities. Start-ups have until 1st October to apply.
Public transport impacts on everyone’s standard of living. It increases sustainability, accessibility, productivity and revenues and reduces carbon emissions, congestion and air pollution. The way people move around – especially in urban areas – is on the cusp of radical change. New business models around the so-called ‘sharing economy’ are disrupting traditional mobility patterns. Technical advances such as electric, connected and autonomous vehicles are not just science fiction anymore. Much of this wave of innovation rests on the Internet and smart apps, such as driverless buses or traffic lights programmed to keep trucks from obstructing the overall flow; and on new types of engines, which make bicycles, cars, trains and buses more eco-friendly.
Deutsche Bahn is constantly improving their customer services via digital solutions, enhanced business operations and new business models. In this context, Deutsche Bahn is looking for ideas of how data can change the future of mobility, across different areas: products and services leveraging Deutsche Bahn data that cater every aspect of Deutsche Bahn’s operations; data value chain technology; and business models enabled by access to more and richer data.
As a strong advocate of open innovation, Deutsche Bahn also welcomes ideas and business cases based on existing prototypes, simulations and mock-ups that convincingly demonstrate the value of Deutsche Bahn datasets that are currently not published openly. This data will be shared with the challenge winners.
Startups accepted by Data Pitch will benefit from funding and mentoring opportunities, including:
- Investment up to €100,000, equity free;
- Six-month business accelerator with the help of the Open Data Institute (ODI) and Beta-i;
- Introduction to business partners;
- Peer-networking and support;
- Introduction to investors;
- Access to technology and datasets, as well as training and advice by Data Pitch experts.
Deutsche Bahn is offering access and support in using a range of static and stream data, including
- Master data: rail network; stations (addresses, GPS, length of platforms etc.); opening times travel centers; operations location register (RIL 100/DS 100); service facilities.
- Business data: 2.5 years worth of booking data from Call-a-bike and Flinkster (anonymized); network radar (availability of mobile networks from app measurements); air pollution registry.
- Logistics data: samples of shipment data for 8 containers around the world from DB Schenker (location, temperature); DB Cargo data (aggregated per 10 trains per operating location per day).
- Target data: target data car position diagram/indicator; target timetables Fernverkehr (long-distance trains).
- Real-time APIs: condition of elevators and escalators & master data (following the ADAM-API); booking options for Call-a-bike and Flinkster; actual occupancy of DB Bahnpark car parks; APIs to master data (see above).
Applications may decide to provide solutions that leverage this data in combination with open datasets released by other transport companies in Europe.